Tuesday, March 08, 2011

ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS

Whew.  Or words to that effect.

The book, after four months of constant thought - well apart from December, I cannot write in December - has left the building.

It felt much, much longer, but that's winter for you.  I'm now getting up to light, there are snowdrops in the hedgerows, crocus and primroses in my garden and suddenly I want to be out there doing stuff.  (A couple of big weeds bought it yesterday afternoon after I'd hit the send button!)

The book is set in Rome.  I had planned a research trip last spring.  To check a few details, walk the streets, remind myself how the place feels and sounds.  The day before we were due to fly everything was grounded because of the ash cloud.  And then I had another deadline and so I've had to rely on memory.  And the pictures from my last trip.  But writing the book has made me more desperate than ever to go back.

It's the story of two generations, two love stories separated by 60 years.  (Me not following the script again.)  I foresee a certain amount of "cutting" in my future but I can only write the book that I can write.  If that makes sense.  I might rewrite it, it might end up very different (that has happened before!), but I'm glad I wrote this one.  Eventually.


Of course the first thing that happens when I hit "send" and the ms is despatched to my lovely editor, is that I immediately start thinking about all the things I should have included.

What the heroine would have been thinking when the black moment hit.  Something she would have taken with her. But that's okay.  I have not the slightest doubt that said editor will have a few thoughts of her own so I'll open a new file, make some notes and then, when the revisions come back, I can include my own.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see who I've been playing with for the last four months.  So here are Matteo di Serrone and Sarah Gratton.

Sarah's tiny apartment is on the top floor of the yellow house on the left.  And that's her minute terrace, just big enough for two.  And the pot of lemon thyme.
Now I'm going to treat myself to a reading binge.  The best beloved bought me a Kindle for a surprise present last week and I've loaded a Jane Lovering, a Susanna Kearsley and a Michael Dibden.  I've also got a new Kate Hardy to read and I've finally got around to reading Eat, Pray Love (it's paper so it's the bathtime book).

I also need to do something about a book I have to deliver in August.  An idea would be good.

In the meantime I'm supposed to mention that BECOMING THE TYCOON'S BRIDE is now on sale in the US.

13 comments:

Penn said...

Love love love! You can take your Kindle into the tub with you! A ziplock bag (I personally would be paranoid about not sealing it properly and use two bags). And you can still turn the pages b/c you're really pushing buttons.

See? Looky here. Wait till the end (and in case you wonder - as many of us did - Angela bo't her necklace at Etsy).

http://bit.ly/esvZR8

Penn

Penn said...

Oh, and I'm VERY much looking forward to this book coming out! Any ideas of release date?

Penn

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the book Liz.
And by the way, I've just nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award. http://writing-bug.blogspot.com

Kaelee said...

Have a great break Liz. I want your flowers. Our garden is still under two feet of snow. But sometime soon i hope to see primroses and crocus.

Vince said...

Hi Liz:

If you like Michael Dibden, do you also read Donna Leon? I love reading books that take place in Venice. Dibden and Leon are among the best. (Lucy Gordon for Romance).

I loved the movie “Eat, Pray, Love” until the ending. I told my wife, “That’s no ending. She just gave up without finding any answers. That relationship will go no where.” And in real life it didn’t. I’d love to know what you think of the ending.

I hope your new book keeps its title. Editors like to change the titles – especially good ones. I think editors look at titles in relation to all the other titles that are coming out that month and not as something specific to your book. But we will see.

BTW: the title “Italian for Beginners” will be picked-up a million times by search engines by people interested in learning Italian. This should really produce a lot of plus business!

An idea for a new book?

How about an English heroine who wakes up one morning in Cardiff with amnesia. Not only can she not remember anything but she can only speak Italian. This leads her on the trail of many dark secrets. Clues lead her to one Italian city after another. What will she find? Why does she think she is being followed by very handsome Italian men?

Now, do you think you'll be able to find the time to research all these cities in person? I’d love to read this book.

Vince

Liz Fielding said...

Penn - no. Just no. I couldn't cope with the stress!

Liz Fielding said...

Penn, end of yearish, hopefully.

I checked the video but my download speed is so slow at the moment that it just doesn't really work. But I do have two of the eReaders on that table!

Liz Fielding said...

Kaelee, tough on the snow. We're quite springlike here at the moment, especially in the sun trap aat the back of the house. Chill in the wind though. Come on daffodils!

Liz Fielding said...

Vince, I picked up a Donna Leon at the library today. I love her books and I'm hoping to convince the dh to give her a try.

Lady with amnesia, Cardiff, Italian cities. Interesting. I'll run it by my editor and see what she says. ;)

Nas said...

Hi Liz,

All the best with book!

So now we'll get to visit Rome in the new book? Will be eagerly waiting for it to release!

Vince said...

Hi Liz:

Did I miss something?

I’m looking for your ice cream book, “Scoops” and I can’t find it. I’ve checked Mills & Boon AU and UK and eHarlequin. I liked looking at the different book covers but I didn’t find “Scoops”. Is the book out? Will it have that title?

Vince

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Vince

The different covers are interesting aren't they? The new Australian ones are very pretty, but would be interested in your take on each of them, as a marketing man.

Sadly "Scoop!" didn't make it as a title. It will be released as TEMPTED BY TROUBLE in June - Harlequin Romance in the US and RIVA in the UK. Sweet US cover - I haven't seen the UK one yet but it will be v. different to the Cherish covers.

Vince said...

Hi Liz:

If you remember, I didn’t think “Scoops” would make it by your editor. Too much like a newspaper story.

Now, “TEMPTED BY TROUBLE” has ‘bad boy’ and ‘forbidden fruit’ written all over it. I can’t wait.

Sometimes editors, like broken clocks, get things right twice a day! : )

Vince