Saturday, July 28, 2007

REUNITED: MARRIAGE IN A MILLION and USED BOOKS

I've just been doing a tour of the online bookstores to see whether Reunited is actually available yet. Some places are slower to ship than others. Since the book isn't on sale retail until next week, I was less than happy to see that Amazon UK already have a couple of sellers with "used" copies for sale at under 50p. Actually, when I chekced they were not used. They were "brand new". "In stock". Sourced from the publisher, they say.

No comment.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with people selling, or buying, used books, but give the author -- and publisher -- a break. We have a couple of weeks on sale retail; it's not long and if we don't sell new books -- it's how we earn our living -- who is going to bother to write them? Print them? Already, the average author earns less than the minimum wage and has to have a "day" job.

I'm luckier than most, I know. My readers are loyal. They buy my books and help pay my kid's student loans. But we're all keen to save money and I can see how buying a "brand new" book for 43p is more attractive than paying £2.89. So listen up.

One of the "used" sellers is The Book Depository and here's the deal. If you buy your very competitively priced copy of Reunited from them via Amazon it will cost you 40 odd pence, plus £2.75 posdtage. However, if you go to The Book Depository's own website, you can buy a copy for £2.89 and they won't charge you for the postage.

Work it out for yourself. It's actually cheaper to buy a legitimate, brand new copy that will benefit the publisher and the author -- the author especially because the publisher will know you love her enough to buy her books (they have no way of knowing how many used of "brand new" used books are sold).

You can work out 4% of the price and discover for yourself exactly how much the author earns per book.

Oh, and ROMANTIC TIMES says Reunited is "... one of the author's best." And gave it 4 1/2 stars.

1 comment:

Snookie said...

I wondered about how they have new books before they are even out! and how they can sell them so cheaply! It's not fair to authors, publishers and buyers of legitimate copies!