Monday, April 23, 2012

The Moving Chronicles...

Moving house is a roller-coaster of stress, emotion and sudden shocks to the system.

This morning our solicitor called. It was Monday. It was early. And selling a house is such a stressful experience that you spend at least half the time expecting things to go wrong so it was not entirely surprising that when Amanda said our seller was pulling out of the deal I got the wrong end of the stick.

For half an hour we sat, slightly stunned, working out what we'd have to do. What we'd have to stop.

And then... And then... I realised what she'd actually said.

Seller, not buyer.

I called Amanda back to clarify what she'd said. That it was our seller who had changed her mind and wouldn't be proceeding. Not our buyer.

Whew!

It was still a moment for regret. The house we'd made an offer for ticked most of our boxes. Small garden, four bedrooms (need one for an office), pleasant location within walking distance of a shop.

We're sorry that we won't be living there but if necessary we'll put our furniture into store and rent while we find another one.

Meanwhile, the skip is two-thirds full. Fifteen years of tax records have been shredded.  The shed and garage have been cleared.

The packing has begun in earnest.

7 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

I don't know if it's any consolation, Liz, but, like you, we were on the point of putting everything in storage when we found a house that we fell in love with as opposed to one that 'suited'. All best to you both, it will work out. Cx

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks, Chris. I'm sure it will all sort itself out.

How is the new house?

Tora Williams said...

Very glad it wasn't your buyer who backed out. The last two times I've moved, a seller has pulled out, so I know how it feels. I hope you find somewhere even better soon.

Lacey Devlin said...

Phew! I'm so glad it wasn't your buyer that backed out :) I hope that the next house will be one that you adore. Happy packing!

Caroline said...

So stressful Liz - I sympathise. In the past 10 years I've moved house 6 times! I've put my foot down now and told the DH "never again". We rented for a while whislt we looked for "the one". I do think that was a good move as we made sure the house we now live in was "the one". Hugs - Caroline x

Vince said...

Hi Liz:

I don’t understand this!

In the USA we have earnest money and suits for specific performance. Also, if the seller backs out, when the buyer is ready, willing and able to buy, the seller owes the Realtor the full commission for selling the property.

Do you give buyers and sellers x number of days to back out of any deal? Or are you just really understanding.

Vince

Oklahoma Real Estate Broker

Liz Fielding said...

Hi Vince

Selling houses is weird in England and Wales (different in Scotland). No one is committed until contracts are exchanged, about a week or ten days before completion. Before that either party can back out without any comeback. Like you I felt for the estate agent who'd probably had the house on his books for a year (judging by the photographs of the garden). He'll get nothing, we lose our search fee. It's the way it's done. I'm not sure that "understanding" is the right word. Helpless?