Friday, April 09, 2010

COVERS...


...are are sometimes a joy, often a heartbreak to the author who has a vivid image in her head, not pictures exactly, but more a feelng of how a book should look.

We have been known to moan -- yes, honestly! -- to one another.

Usually, the response is, but it's lovely, because we can't see inside the author's head, only the outsiders view - the reader's view.  But, because we've been there, we do understand the pain.

For once in my life, I have absolutely no complaints about a cover;  I hoping you're going to overlook my whinge about the lack of purple hair a few weeks!  I've got over it - it was easy enough because I never expected it in the first place.  

I have now have all three covers for my ESCAPE AROUND THE WORLD book, A WEDDING AT LEOPARD TREE LODGE - it's rare for me to have an Australian cover this early but I have the lovely Bronwyn Jameson to thank for that. She got hold of this one early to go with an article appearing in the RWAus magazine in May.

I'm so delighted with all of them, that I've lined them all up in a row and I'm going to ask you which you like best and why.  What does it for you?  What image pulls you in? 

Oh, and while I'm here, I should mention that I've just blogged about this book here Drop by and leave a comment and you might win a copy!

14 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Liz. I like all 3. But my absolute fave is the 2nd one - your 2-in-1 with Donna. Can't wait to get this book. Caroline x

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks, Caroline. It is pretty - full of life, which I love.

Anonymous said...

Definitely the first one. Much more natural.

Nell Dixon said...

The girl on the first one looks like Dani Minogue, I think.

Liz Fielding said...

She does a bit, Nell. Well spotted! (Of course Josie doesn't look at bit like that!)

juliemt said...

The Australian cover is gorgeous, Liz! I love how it has that classic M&B feel, but also manages to be fresh,contemporary and appealing. I defy anyone not to pick the book up from the shelf.

I also like the UK cover, but find it annoying that you need a magnifying glass to see the author and the title!

Liz Fielding said...

It is lovely, Julie, although I think it looks more like Australia than Africa!

Totally agree about title and author names. And that horrible black rose!

Janet Ch said...

I like the first cover best. Those American covers are always so much more attractive than the English ones

CC MacKenzie said...

Hi Liz, I love the 1st and 3rd.

And I lived in Lusaka, Harare and Nairobi for ten years as an expat!

I remember the kids flying into Lusaka Airport on the Jumbos from UK - I used to be hanging over fence on the roof crying my eyes out whilst they pretended not to know me! Those were the days!

Congratulations on being a finalist on the Blog awards, I voted for you!!

Christine

My favourite book of your is Lady Gabriella, still makes me laugh out loud!

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks, Christine. When I first flew into Lusaka it was to the old airport - two planes a week and no wide-bodied jets! They had a restaurant in a Nissan hut where they flew in fresh seafood from Mozambique - fabulous!

They built the new airport while I was there - not the same :)

We lived up country in Kenya, in Machakos. Loved that so much.

AnneMarie Brear said...

I like all three, Liz, but the first one is really nice.

Chris Stovell said...

They're all enticing covers so you must be delighted... I have to say that no 3 attracts me because I like my heroes to have a touch of stubble!

Liz Fielding said...

Me too, Chris. And something less contained than the short back and sides haircuts we sometimes get on our heroes.

Kate Hardy said...

They're all great, Liz, but I like the Aussie one best as it's a bit different and it shows me that the book has a really exotic setting; plus I'm a real sucker for sunrises and sunsets!