Monday, March 03, 2008

ARGHHH!

I’m really sorry not to have been around for the last few days. Having finally managed to get on broadband – admittedly a very slow version of broadband – you’ll forgive me if I thought my internet woes were at an end.

How dumb can you get?

After ten days of fun and frolicking amongst the websites, the connection failed, leaving me not only without broadband, but without any means of communication. I couldn’t even wish you a happy St David’s Day on the 1st March, but here are some belated daffodils. Or remind you that my 50th Harlequin Romance, THE BRIDE’S BABY, is now available online at eHarlequin.com and millsandboon.com Don’t forget that you now have the eBook option. Instant satisfaction!

Fortunately, last week’s guest, Anne McAllister, had sent me her post in plenty of time and it was all set up and ready to go online, so I rang my daughter and talked her through that bit. Unfortunately that meant missing out those last minute bits, including the winner of the Jenny Haddon/Sophie Weston “cousins” trilogy. She chose Sue (and Tilly Trotter). Congrats to Sue and again, many thanks to Jenny, although you shouldn’t be reading this Jenny, you should be putting the finishing touches to Rosie. We can’t wait!

By the weekend, I’d managed to sort out a pay as go dial-up and can, therefore, announce that the winners of the HERE COMES THE BRIDES competition, are:

Alison Bond.Manchester
Jane Squires Mo
Carol Woodruff NJ

Congratulations to all three of you, who will each be receiving a copy of Spanish, Billionaire, Innocent Wife, by Kate Walker, One Night Love-Child by Anne McAllister and The Bride’s Baby from me.

And Patsy is the winner of the Mills & Boon coupons, calendar and bookmark.

Thank you all for taking part in the competitions, but don’t go away. I’ll be posting the winner of this weekend’s guest blogger – Anne McAllister’s – comp on Thursday, when the lovely Ally Blake will be dropping by to give us her take on writing and an opportunity to win her latest book. Don’t miss it!

… and AH!

This week I treated myself to a book. Not unusual, to be honest and I’d had my eye on Tess Gerritsen’s THE BONE GARDEN since before it was published. I read Tess’s blog when I have time and I was fascinated by the idea of the book and by the fact that she said she was growing a little weary of writing slice and dice thrillers and wanted to write something a little more cerebral. I felt exactly the same way as a reader (it sometimes seems that escalating the horror is the only way forward for best-selling fiction these days) and The Bone Garden seemed like a match. With a few notable exceptions, however – Sebastian Faulk for the dh, Janet Evanovitch for me (who can wait for the next Stephanie Plum?) -- I don’t buy fiction in hardback. I was being good, despite the temptation everywhere, patiently waiting for the paperback.

But then I was shopping on Amazon for an out of print photographic book for my son when I spotted a Mother’s Day deal (we’re in the UK – we do Mothering Sunday on the 4th Sunday in Lent) and Tess Gerritsen’s book was on special offer. And I thought, well, I’m a mother so I bought it.

Actually the dh snaffled it as soon as it arrived, but that’s okay. I’m reading Kate Walker’s Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife at the moment. Kate does such an amazing job of evoking the emotional anguish of being in the same room with someone that you love, but who is out of reach. Reading the opening gave me so much insight into what I should be doing with two characters who I’ve put on the back-burner for the moment. Her 12-Point Guide to Writing Romantic Fiction is a brilliant how-to book for any writer (there’ll be a new edition out later this year) but reading her fiction will teach you so much more.

And then I have Anne McAllister’s ONE NIGHT LOVE CHILD, and the latest Kate Hardy. The dh can take his time with Tess. J

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have you back, Liz!

Jan Jones said...

I'm glad you're back too, Liz.

Estella said...

Me too, Liz!

Kate Walker said...

And I'm really glad you're back Liz - and not just because it meant that you said such lovely things about my book. Thank you! I am thrilled that you like it so much. After reading your wonderful Bride's Baby, praise from a fabulous writer like you means such a lot.

You'll enjoy Anne's One Night Love Child too, I know. It'll keep you more than happy while your DH enjoys Tess G

Wolfy said...

So glad that you are back online again Liz. I can only imagine what kind of withdrawal you were going through.

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks, guys! It's a somewhat erratic presence -- I've lost all my links, can't find my "favourites" and none of my links is rcognising me. The choice is between lying on the floor and drumming my heels, screaming, or lying down in darkened room.

BT are on it. I will not hold my breath.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work for me, but perhaps some chocolate while laying in that dark room would help?

Otherwise, grab a nice movie and forget your own problems! [may I recommend Mr&Mrs Smith?]

catslady said...

Oh, dear. I have an order in to switch too and I just found out my sister did it and because of some "filters" that were needed she isn't going to have a connection for at least 10 days! Darn - why is everything so complicated lol.

Anonymous said...

Liz, commiserations. I've been struck down by a really vicious bug (that is me, not the computer), so am up today for the first time.

Which is why I have only just posted your prize to you, Sue. Let me know if it doesn't arrive.

Anne - fab excerpt. Can't wait to read him. I do love your heroes.