Tuesday, September 26, 2006

LONDON, FOOD, RITA

London, I have to say, was fun.

Despite having taking a tumble over a step a couple of days before I was due to put on my highest heels, leaving me with only one pair of (very flat) shoes that I could actually get over my poor swollen foot, I had the best time.

My first engagement was lunch with Karin Stoecker, Editorial Director of HMB, and editors Kimberley Young , Bryony Green and Jo Carr, seen in the picture below on the steps of Locanda Locatelli, the hottest place to eat in London right now. (Yes, there is one of me, but I’m squinting, and besides, you all know what I look like.)



One editor, I shall not embarrass her by naming names, totally lost it and winked at one of the luscious Italian waiters and everyone went home drooling after the seriously alpha Giorgio Locatelli passed within touching distance; you can trust me when I say that the cover headline on the Observer food magazine this week “Local Boy Makes God”, did not exaggerate. *g* And that was before the food about which I shall say only this -- “White Chocolate Soup with Pistachio Ice Cream”...

(I know I promised pictures of good looking men, but I haven’t yet found one that does Giorgio justice, but be assured that I have found my Italian hero!)

The following day I met up with thirty or so fellow authors, including Harlequin Romance Authors Jessica Hart, Natasha Oakley, Trish Wiley, Lucy Gordon, Sophie Weston, Fiona Harper and Caroline Anderson, as well as all the usual suspects, for our annual lunch at the RAF club, followed later by a champagne reception at Brookes’ in St James’s Street (where I met Biddy on the doorstep as she dropped her keys off for Julie Cohen, who is blooming, beautifully, btw.

This was the moment that I took possession of Rita II. Sorry, no photo -- my grin is too wide to get on the blog!

5 comments:

Ally Blake said...

Soooo jealous Liz! Though I have ben reading everyone's accounts so that I can almost pretend to believe that I was there too ;).

Hope RITA made it home okay.

Ally

Fiona Harper said...

it was lovely to finally meet you, Liz. I clapped very had when you got your Rita!

Michelle Styles said...

You went THERE!!!
I read about that restaurant in the Observer. It sounded like wonderful food. So glad he is a hunk as well.

It was lovely to see you and see you get your RITA! Throughly well deservedfor a heroine who refused to give up...

Nell Dixon said...

Sounds wonderful, Liz. Hope your foot is better.

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks, Nell. The bruising has practically disappeared -- arnica is magic, isn't it -- and the swelling has almost disappeared everywhere but by ankle.

The bad news is that I can't get out and do stuff in the garden.

The good news is that I can't get ot and do stuff in the garden...